We have listed a few exercise tips for using exercise balls and exercise bands that can make your exerciseing easier and more effective. These are ONLY general information and not meant to be specific. Realize the list is only partial and there are many other factors to consider in individualized exercising. Using a coach, therapist or personal trainer would be very helpful and important so you will know exactly what exercises are best for you to do. They will also give you specific directions on how to do them. Our tips are non-specific and will apply to most exercise situations with balls and/or bands.
1) It is never too late to get started on an exercise routine.
2) It is best to exercise at least 30 minutes each day. You can gradually work up to this though, and eventually increase to an hour per day.
3) Always do stretches and warmup exercises at the beginning of your workout.
4) Follow a gradual, realistic plan. Choose exercises you enjoy.
5) Aerobic activity and strength training are equally important. Get 30 minutes of aerobic activity at least 3 times per week. Aerobic activity, such a running or anything which raises your heart rate, is important to keep your heart and lungs healthy, and to reduce your risk of heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, and developing diabetes. Aerobic activity will also strengthen your muscles and bones, which will help circulate your blood and nourish your skin and organs. Strength training is also important so that you can keep a higher metabolism and don't lose too much muscle over the years. Many seniors lose muscle as they age, and it is important for them to stay strong to maintain independence and prevent injuries.
6) Work up to 30 minutes a day, three times per week. Eventually you want to go up to one hour a day. Three to four times per week is the lowest amount of recommended exercise, however, daily exercise is best. 30 minutes is great, but an hour is ideal. You can even do this by doing two separate workouts, such as a 30 minute walk in the morning, and a 30 minute walk at night.
7) Listen to music or a book on tape on a walkman if you find yourself getting bored.
8) Be sure you have the proper size ball and proper strength bands for your body size and fitness condition. Using the wrong equipment can be counter productive and even harmful.
9) Exercise improves your mental outlook. It increases serotonin, endorphins, and reduces stress. Exercise can help our bodies to deal with both mental and physical stress. This helps keep our heart strong, less prone to heart attacks and stroke and helps control high blood pressure. Exercise can also help reduce headaches, depression, anxiety and trouble thinking clearly. As well, weight bearing exercise and weight training helps fight bone loss and osteoporosis, makes your bones stronger and denser, improves posture, balance, muscle tone, and manages weight!
10) Eexercise can help you stick to a good eating plan, burn more calories, curb hunger, crave healthy foods, and feel better about yourself.
11) A balanced, nutrient rich diet is important. One simple rule of thumb is to eat meals with a lot of variety in color. The more color, the more nutrients you will obtain. Create an eating plan that is realistic to your individual needs and goals which will help you obtain success.
12) Simple activities, like walking for 30 minutes or 10 minutes three times a day, can decrease joint pain, improve mobility, help keep an ideal weight and promote overall well-being. People are less depressed and sleep better when they are physically active.
Balls 'N' Bands
A Division of Foothills Internet Marketing, LLC
117 Snipe Lane
Easley, SC 29642
All rights reserved.
Exercise Balls, Exercise Bands, Pilates, Therapy & Balance Equipment for your exercising needs!
Balls'N'Bands is your one stop shopping place for all you need to get fit using exercise balls and exercise bands.